Introduction of the Award
As the most long-standing IT student award in Hong Kong, it is our responsibility to discover and explore the IT-related talents and potential in students. In recent years, illegal download had hindered the healthy development of the unique Hong Kong IT Culture. We realized that we should progress with time and do more on educating students on intellectual property right and protecting the creativity in IT industry.
This year, more on intellectual property right is added into the Award, it is hoped that we can arouse public awareness, especially among teenagers, on the unique IT Culture in Hong Kong and on intellectual property right.
- To arouse students' awareness on the unique IT Culture in Hong Kong and on intellectual property right
- To reinforce the importance of protection of creativity in IT industry
- To arouse public awareness on young IT elites, especially secondary school students in Hong Kong
- To discover and explore the IT-related talents and potential in students.
- To compliment students on their contributions and achievements in IT-related fields
- To encourage students to pursue their future studies in IT industry
- Any full-time secondary school students (F.1-7) are eligible.
- Students who have made immense remarkable achievements in the IT-related fields during the recent academic year are preferred.
- Each school can send more than 1 student to participate in the competition. Applicants are treated as the school representatives sent by the school.
- Applicants should fill in the application form endorsed by parents and computer teacher as provided.
- Recommendation letter written by the Principal or teacher is recommended
- Applicants should hand in the copy of the last assessment report card. Those who have attended the HKCEE/HKALE should also hand in the copy of the certificate.
- All applications must be addressed to:
Hong Kong Outstanding IT Student Award 2007
PO Box 73945, Kowloon Central Post Office, Hong Kong.
- Deadline for application: 30th June 2007 (in accordance to the mail chop).
- Any late submission will not be entertained.
All the applications will be collected and processed at 2nd July 2007. 50 applicants will be short-listed for the first round.
- Successful applicants will be notified on 4th July 2007. The applicants will be invited to attend interviews on 7th July 2007.
- Group discussion will be arranged.
- Professors from our university partners will be invited to be the interviewers.
- The best 20 applicants will be selected for the second round. They will be notified before 10th July 2007.
- The 20 applicants will then be divided into 5 groups. They will be asked to implement a promotion project for 19th HKJSECE in July using any kind of multimedia. They can also promote themselves in the election of the Award along with the promotion of 19th HKJSECE.
- Two committees from JSECS will be attached to each group as a tutor and co-coordinator. They will also give marks to "team work" of each group.
- A public vote will be established on the website of JSECS.
- Visit to famous IT-related companies or organizations (e.g. Cyberport, RTHK, HKUST etc.) will be arranged for applicants. They will be asked to establish a blog for writing their reflection on the events.
- Professors from our university partners will be invited to be the judges.
- The best 8 applicants will be selected for the final round. They will be notified before 6th August 2007.
- IT Quiz will be held for the applicants in the Exhibition. Questions will be mainly based on IT and social issues which are related to IT.
- Personal presentation will also be held for the applicants on the Exhibition. Applicants will be given a topic related to IT Culture in Hong Kong, and they will present the topic for about 5 mins. They will also present their achievements in IT for another 8 mins. A Q&A Session will be held for the last 2 mins.
- Professors would be invited to be judges of the presentation.
- The champion will be elected as the Hong Kong Outstanding IT Student for the year 2007-2008.
- Prize-Giving Ceremony will be conducted during the exhibition day 2, right before the Closing Ceremony.
- The results of the competition will be announced in mid July in Hong Kong newspapers and on our official site. The prizes are as follows:
The Prize Giving Ceremony will be held on 11th August, 2007
- Champion: Cyberport iResource Centre Membership, $3000 cash coupons or equivalent, a trophy and a certificate
- 4 runner-ups: Cyberport iResource Centre Membership, $500 cash coupons or equivalent, a trophy and a certificate
- Click here for application form -